The Paleo diet is based on the premise that we humans function best when we eat what would have been available in the diets of early humans living in the Paleolithic era (i.e Cavemen)
The idea is that by going back to the hunter-gatherer diet, we avoid some of the negative effects of the age of modern farming on our food.
The goal is to eat natural food that has not been processed and is free of preservatives. That means there is no place for sweets, candy, bread or anything that is produced synthetically or by a chemical means.
Research is proving that the modern, processed diet is making us ill…
You may think that cutting out so much of today’s treats will not leave much for you to choose from, but more and more people are finding that by cutting out the rubbish, they are feeling better and hitting their fitness goals more easily.
Some Key Aspects Of The Paleo Diet:
- Vegetables make up a lot of your intake. The base foundation of the Paleo diet is built on eating large amounts of fruit and vegetables, combined with nuts, fish and meat
Without plenty of fruit and vegetables in your diet you will not only lack carbohydrates for energy, but you may also suffer digestive problems due to excessive protein consumption.
- You can eat some grains. Archaeologists have found wheat and corn in various ancient sites dating back to more than 12,000 years ago, so we have been eating grains for a long time. The problem today is that modern forms of processed grains and breads have high amounts of added sugar and much less fiber.
Some approaches to Paleo suggest that corn, ancient grains, and even amaranth should be consumed.
- Eggs are a recommended source of protein. Although many meats will provide a wide spectrum of amino acids, meat was not as easily available to early humans as it is for us today.
Eggs provide a wide and full spectrum of amino acids and Omega 3, all wrapped up in a easily absorbed form.
- Avoid dairy products. Domesticated animal agriculture was not a part of life for early humans, and milk is not essential in any respect beyond the age of c. 4 years old for anyone.
Most people lose the ability to create lactase (a milk-metabolizing enzyme) and consequently cannot properly digest milk as they mature.
- Salt should not be consumed. This is perhaps the most important aspect of the diet that many people seem to be unaware of or avoid. Salt and many other preservatives were in not a part of early human diets. It was not until Romans that salt became a widely included into human diets.
Salt can cause hypertension, lethargy, and even increase the risk of heart disease and cancer
Could The Paleo Diet Be Right for You?
You might not need to make big and drastic changes to your diet overnight, but gradually reducing the amount of sugar, salt, and other processed foods could help accelerate weight loss and improve your overall health.
The paleo diet is a clean and more natural approach to eating that counteracts our unhealthy modern diet.